Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Tako wrote:

>Just as a for-instance, I hear a distinct shift at E4 or so in Anne Sofie
>von Otter's lyric mezzo. Many lyric sopranos don't ever cross the bridge,
>since they usually only have to sing down to C4 or so, and can get away
>with singing only in head and not have to deal with this business.
>
>-Tako

I'm still in the midst of a rather dramatic change in the way I sing. (Actually
I feel I'm singing with my "real" voice for the very first time.) But, I feel
that using chest voice up to that E4 (or maybe E flat) has been key to finding
my voice. I found that using only head registration got me so far from my
speaking voice that I couldn't be expressive. It was somehow cut off from how
I would normally express myself (in my speaking voice). Now that I am using
more chest quality and bringing some of that color into my upper voice, I feel
MUCH more expressive. And it is a more beautiful, unique sound. I am
definitely a soprano (although the actual fach is in contention), but I was
recently accused of being a contralto. (2 years ago, in my squeaky Soubrette
days, this NEVER would have happened. :-)

Just my experience.

Lisa-Marie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4222 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Mon  9/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com