Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karena Aslanian <cantare@p...>
Date:  (Date Unavailable)
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] open cords/losing air

hi Mike -

Hmmm. . that is a good point. I think you are right, I do increase the
pressure as I increase the pitch. Since you mention "weight," it makes
me think this might be coming from my trying to bring some of the weight
of my lower voice up into the rest of my voice. As it is, my voice
sounds mezzo-ish and rich on the bottom, and light and soubrett-ish on
top. We are trying to even it out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Also, my teacher says don't do anything different around the break, just
sing right through it with the same resonance. I guess I interpret that
physically as "push right through what's blocking you on the break" and
I'm sure that's not what she means. It seems I am pushing where I am not
supposed to be pushing. I will have to think about what you said. Thank
you!

>karena,
>
> if you increase pressure as you increase pitch, you make it harder for
>your vocal folds to stretch. at your break, you are probably instinctively
>realising that this can't go on much longer and your folds pop open to let
>out the pressure. when starting above, on or, just below your break with
>success, have you noticed that there seems to be less pressure, or weight,
>than when you start at the bottom and go up through it?
>
>mike

emusic.com