Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  2:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Need Advice

Lisa-Marie wrote:

vtec> I have an interview tomorrow for a teaching position at a public high
school.
vtec> They apparently already have 2 private voice teachers who come in, but
have gained so many new choral students,
vtec> they need someone for 1 - 2 days a week. I have done this before, but
the choral director told me to bring my
vtec> "teaching materials" and said that he would have a student come in for
about 10
vtec> minutes for me to work with.

Sorry for the late reply - this won't help now, but if you run into
the situation again, you'll have some perspective. If I were in this
position, I would explain that it takes me at least ten minutes (more
like fifteen or twenty) just to evaluate what is going on vocally
with a new student. I would volunteer to give a 30 minute lesson, but
I would not give a ten minute one. If the teacher does not
understand, you are probably better off finding another school
district. I teach in three different Chicago area districts, and in
each case the choral directors allow me to do my job my way. That's
the only way I can operate with any kind of sanity.

I'm sure as I catch up on vocalist I'll find out how things went for
you.

Vicki Bryant
Naperville, IL

emusic.com