Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  10:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Help! I need an opera scene! Fast!!!

Trevor Allen wrote:

> Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I have
> already checked out some and they all seem like
> excellent scenes. The only specification on them is
> that they have to be from an English or American
> opera. Next semester we will do scenes in foreign
> languages, so this semester is confined to English.

I think, though it is a good idea to get a study of English/American
repertoire anyway, that it's a pity you're not allowed to include good
translations as well. I wonder if this is the same in most colleges?

They seem to train students that French, German, Italian, Russian opera
must be sung in the original language or not at all. This is not going
to prove to be the case if you follow a performing career unless it
moves almost immediately into the international circuit - I would guess
(though I might be wrong, and I'd love to hear if anyone has any figures
to demonstrate otherwise) that there as as many professional and
semi-pro companies outside that sphere that do at least some of their
repertoire in translation, and certainly some of the leading opera
composers such as Puccini and Wagner held strong views in favour of
performance in the language of the audience.

Poor translations are unsingable and make everyone sound like a
foreigner; good ones can make you believe the music was written to fit
those words, and such translations do exist.
--
Linda Fox

emusic.com