Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Sat Sep 9, 2000  7:26 pm
Subject:  MED: Nasacort spray??

Kerubiino wrote:

>I have been prescribed Nasacort nasal spray by my ENT for clearing my
>nose of constant allergic stuffiness.
>
>Please can the list comment on using this or other corticosteroid
>treatment for allergies. The doctor said it takes about a month for
>the medication to really take effect and after I get a feeling of the
>effect it is common to be able to reduce the dosage to half.

I used this drug for several years and was very pleased with the results.
It was by far the most effective allergy treatment I'd ever used. The
reason I discontinued it was that I had heard that prolonged use of inhaled
steroids *could* cause a change in the vocal cords. I decided that I would
try another approach until the medical community (or at least those members
of it I had contact with) caught up with the implications for professional
voice users. It was a radical, over-cautious decision on my part and in
*no* way is meant to alarm you. You may wish to bring it up with your ENT,
though, for your peace of mind. I'd be interested to know what you
discover if you do.

Best wishes,
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com