Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sandra White <sandra@i...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  2:59 pm
Subject:  Frequency of Lessons

Hi all!

I'd like to get opinions on frequency of lessons. Up until now, I have only
been taking one lesson a week. Though I haven't been comfortable with only one,
'til now, it was all I could do. I've been studying less than 1 1/2 years.
Now I am in a position to take more frequent lessons. Does anyone have any
advice on the frequency of lessons? I am leaning towards 3 lessons a week, but
if so, what duration should they be? How is one hour 3 times a week (v. 30 or
45 minutes) for someone at my level? I find that with 30 minute lessons, I am
just getting warmed up by the end of the lesson. I could also do other
combinations, such as 2 lessons per week at 1 hr each, or 3 lessons at 30 to 45
minutes. Other than daily practice, my singing schedule includes a weekly
choir/choral practice during which I sing about 40 minutes (broken up by starts
and stops and listening to other people's parts) and a weekly performance of the
same duration.

Do any of you teachers have opinions on frequency versus duration when it comes
to taking lessons? Also, as for the format, would you recommend focusing
specific weekly lessons on technique v. repertoire, or a mix of both in each
lesson? Granted, of course, that it is impossible to fully separate the two,
but I'm thinking more of the general focus.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4102 Re: Frequency of Lessons sopran@a...   Fri  9/8/2000   2 KB
4129 Re: Frequency of Lessons RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   2 KB
4130 Re: Frequency of Lessons Mezzoid@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   2 KB
4138 Re: Frequency of Lessons RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   1 KB
4146 Re: Frequency of Lessons Sandra White   Sat  9/9/2000   5 KB
4147 Re: Frequency of Lessons leskayc@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   2 KB
4148 Re: Frequency of Lessons leskayc@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   3 KB
4150 Re: Frequency of Lessons Sandra White   Sat  9/9/2000   3 KB
4151 Re: Frequency of Lessons LesTaylor@a...   Sat  9/9/2000   2 KB

emusic.com