Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  2:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Need Advice

Lisa-Marie wrote:
>I teach primarily instinctively, based on what I hear is already there, so
I don't have a specific program that fits for every student, and I don't
really believe in quick-fixes.

Hi, Lisa-Marie,

First, let me say I only have a small amount of teaching experience.
However, I've been studying for almost - well, let's just say I've been a
voice student for a long time! ;-) I would hope that anyone interviewing
you for such a position would know that what one would see in 10 minutes of
working with a young voice isn't going to be the same as what one would
learn by watching you teach several lessons. I think your approach of
listening to each student and determining his/her individual needs is
exactly what you should concentrate on. The student and interviewer will
see your general demeanor as a teacher and get an idea of what you consider
to be heathy singing. Just do what you do and don't worry about it!

Good luck.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com