Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  4:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Help! I need an opera scene! Fast!!!

Trevor Allen wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am in a opera/musical theatre workshop class. As
> an assignment, we, the members of the class, had to
> pick a partner, and then pick a scene from an opera in
> English to perform in front of the class. I am paired
> with my dear friend, April. She has described herself
> as a mezzo with a rather heavy voice. I am a lyric
> baritone. Are there any scenes at ALL that would be
> appriopriate for two college students that do not run
> more than 5-7 minutes and are from an opera in
> English.

You could check The Ballad of Baby Doe - There's a good scene in the first act
between
Augusta and her husband, Horace Tabor -- this is when Augusta confronts Horace
about his
affair with Baby Doe. It's pretty dramatic and if suitable for your voices,
might be fun
to work on.

Now, if you can perform an opera in English translation, there's much more to
choose
from. If your voices can handle the music, there's tons of fun stuff by
Rossini - I'm
thinking L'Italiani in Algeri, since the heroine is a mezzo and there are
several baritone
roles. Or Barber of Seville, where there's a great duet between Rosina (mezzo)
and Figaro
(baritone). You might also look at the Dorabella/Guiglielmo scene from Act 2 of
Cosi fan
Tutte (Mozart).

--
mailto:peggyh@i...