Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  12:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] wobbles and chest (Ian Belsley)

Hi Kevin,

Sorry not to have replied before! I thought I had
actually!

Well, to add this to the other posts about 'easy'
singing. All the other listers who's opinions I value
greatly, really are getting hold of the wrong end of
the stick I think. Singing is easy! What my gripe is,
is that it becomes difficult when all these terrible
teachers, who generally should be called coaches start
putting their tuppence ha'penny worth in, and mucking
it all up! Support the tone, project the tone, etc.
What a load of rubbish! It's just confusing and
tantamount to danger. By the way, I can't remember
what lister said about the difference between singing
over an orchestra, or singing say, in your music room.
Well, I don't ever sing any differently. I just sing
with what I have!

I guess I have always been lucky Kevin. I have always
been able to sing as easily as the birds in the trees!
When I sing myself and when I teach my students, all
of us are relaxed. No flexing of abs etc, no worries
about extending rib cages (I had a teacher at The
Royal College of Music who favoured that particular
'method' of singing which caused the top of my right
vocal cord to haemmorage, so I wouldn't recommend
it!!)I have a strong jaw, but not a tense one, so
there was nothing to change there. I try not to make
students 'do' anything. Open the gob comfortably and
sing. Breathe as if your smelling a rose (Battistini,
and his breath control and beautiful execution were
pretty spectacular!)I've never consciously thought
about centre of gravity: it's an interesting concept.
I tend not to worry about stance particularly, as most
of my students are involved in the musical stage:
opera and West End work, so they quite often have to
stand on their heads etc!

And as an ex dancer Kevin, it really is quite easy to
isolate muscle groups and be relaxed and feel normal
about the whole process. I'm sorry this has rambled
rather, but hope it gives you some idea what I meant?
If not, send me a post and I'll try again!

Best wishes to you all.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!!