Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Dear Linda:

You wrote:
The way it had been taught to me, borne out by most of what I had read,
was that the good co-ordinated voice was using both of these
functions (vocalis muscle and vocal ligament/musocal membrane) in
varying proportions for the greater part of its range, thought the
extremities ("pure" head and "pure" chest voice involved the
vibration of just the one portion or the other. I am aware that this
is an over-simplification, but it always worked for me.

COMMENT: Basically this is correct. In chest voice all of the
layers of the vocal folds are involved in some form of oscillation,
in middle voice somewhat less of the vocal muscle is involved and in
head voice primarily the local ligament/mucosal membrane is in
oscillation.

What you mention as pure head voice is unclear to me, that is, I am
unsure of your meaning. If you are speaking of falsetto then you are
describing a different configuration of the vocal folds from that
mentioned above. If you are speaking of a more fluty sounding head
voice (similar to many British tenors) you are describing a true head
voice that has been deprived of some of its color via resonance
tuning or with a slight admixture of air to the tone.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4085 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio chosdad@c...   Fri  9/8/2000   4 KB
4119 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Fri  9/8/2000   3 KB
4120 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  9/9/2000   5 KB
4221 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Mon  9/11/2000   3 KB
4233 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4262 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tak Oda   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4263 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio chosdad@c...   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4264 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tak Oda   Tue  9/12/2000   2 KB
4265 my vocal pedagogy class - really of personal inte John Alexander Blyth   Tue  9/12/2000   2 KB

emusic.com