Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  4:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] female falsetto

Mike, why is this not appropriate for opera? I think what you describe is
just good fundamental singing. In my opinion what has passed as "operatic"
is really an imitation of singing. Most singers who use what you call the
former method are the ones you can't understand, which makes no sense to me.
Opera is based on the words, as is song. The words convey the meaning of the
emotion expressed in music. How effective is this communication if people
can't understand what you are saying. I know the composers of the bel canto
period (Donizetti, Bellini, Rossini) wanted people to understand the words
that were being sung. Many of the opera were comedies, how can you laugh if
you don't know what was said. Lamperti said that diction should never be
separated from singing, even in exercises. I have found that just
concentrating on clear pronunciation elicits better phonation. But I would
caution against doing anything extra with the mouth, let the clarity come
from the throat.

Michael Mayer

and, though not quite as appropriate