Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: countertenor vs contralto voice?

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Sung-il Cho wrote:
> I wonder if we can just use CD's to compare, provided
> that we can find each voice singing the same song.
> I could try to find them but first I wonder if there's
> any spectrogram shareware that can do this easily...
> I tried Gram before, but not sure it's an appropriate one
> to do this.

Luckily, orchestral signatures are not in the same range as the singer's
formant. Still, it wouldn't be a very good comparison, because the two
singers will be singing in very different venues with different recording
techniques, not to mention the fact that Daniels has more HIP sensibility,
meaning he is consciously pulling back on much of the "romantic" colour
and vibrato in his voice. Back when Marilyn Horne recorded these Handel
arias, people hardly knew what HIP was, so she will have more default
richness.

Truth is, Daniels has a sumptuous voice, but I don't think there are many
recordings of his singing Brahms and such. It is so easy for engineers to
use an equalizer to "pump up" whatever freq band they please, the only
decent comparison would be two singers in the same studio, a cappella.

Tako

emusic.com