Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  2:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] wobbles and chest

Please also remember that EVERY VOICE IS DIFFERENT! Just because something is
possible (and even beautiful) in a few voices doesn't mean it is healthy for
everyone. There are lots of pop/belt singers out there who have never had a
vocal problem. There are classical singers who have had problems with nodes.
This (IMHO) is the problem with adopting a "one technique fits all" mode.
Generalizations do not make good individual singers.

Lisa-Marie
---

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:47:16
RALUCOB wrote:
> in my response to karin's post, i mentioned lou rawls who seems to have
>just sang in pure chest all the time. tony bennett (another of my big
>favorites) also seems to, at least, belt his way, if not chest his way, up to
>his top. both these singers look like they are having the 'time of their
>life' while they are singing whereas, a number of opera singers look panic
>struck (as if they are trying desperately not to puke) or, at least, under
>great strain while they are singing. and opera singers usually quit earlier
>(mel torme sounded the same at seventy as he did when younger and it was a
>stroke that made him quit). there are a lot of differences in the
>conditions that these singers and opera singers sing under. maybe it' s
>some of the factors, maybe all or just one.
>
>mike

emusic.com