Vocalist.org archive

From:  VocalStudio@c...
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  12:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] wobbles and chest

Idbelsey@y... writes:

<< Singing is easy! I'm not being flippant: it really is.
Any singing teacher/coach who tells you otherwise, is
either balmy or a charlatan. >>

Yeah. But I have had to say on MANY occasions to a high school soprano who
just took in a tsp. of air and attempted any kind of sound, and this is after
talking about breath energy ad nauseum, "Singing takes a lot more work than
that, my dear."
I normally get an eye role of some sort and a whine from them saying. "But
that's too haaaaaarrrd." Singing is easy, or mine feels so, but a lazy
singer often confuses that with wanting it to feel effortless. You'd think
asking these young girls to stand up tall, expand the rib cage, relax the
jaw, allow ANY sort of sound a fighting chance to escape- was like asking
them to cut off a leg. This is not true for all HS kids and certainly not
the ones who are serious and know what it's going to take to be college
ready- but it does happen a lot. AND... to frustrate my life further, I WAS
one of those when I was young. Perhaps I am paying back for the grief I gave
my teachers.

Rebecca

Shane Vocal Studio
5016 Meredeth