Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  2:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] wobbles and chest

> All the great singers on
> record, from Melba and Caruso, up to Marilyn Horne,
> Sutherland, Gruberova (if you want to do girls),
> especially had a great core, or focus, but it was
> always predominatly a head tone brought down through
> the range of the right sort!

> Well, the focussed voices you hear are top heavy,

I see where the confusion lies. Where you read "top
heavy" in my post earlier today, go back and
substitute "entirely lacking in any chest mix." There
MUST be a mix of chest into the pure head tone,
otherwise we sound like trebles. Similarly, there
MUST be a mix of head into the middle voice, or else
we are belting.

Of course I didn't mean that great voices don't have a
head tone brought down through the range -- neither do
they have an open chest voice dragged up through the
range -- it is balanced and mixed.

Isabelle B. (who actually hears too much "headiness"
in Horne's voice, for my asthetic taste, and dislikes
it for the same reason as Larmore's... too hooty)

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...