Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 6, 2000  5:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [female] falsetto

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 RALUCOB@a... wrote:
> in my own voice, there exists a light, breathy voice which i would call
> falsetto. i can increase volume in two ways with this voice.

Have you noticed a difference in your larynx position (low, high) in the
two approaches? I can relate to these two voices - method one usually
involves a higher larynx, while method two is in a more natural position.

I've always assumed the second is "better" for me, since the register
transitions are easier, and the sound is richer. The reason the change is
harder using method one (in my opinion) is that the larynx is being
"held" in an unnatural position and must be "dropped" unceremoniously when
a man switches to chest voice.

Don't know if this larynx thing applies to women, since their larynges are
smaller... To me the difference between "1" females and "2" females
relates to how high they take their transition from chest to
head. "2" singers, take their chest voices higher.

I do think some operatic singers use "2", especially dramatic voices,
though to my ear some lyric operatic voices (like Dawn Upshaw, which is
probably why she sounds so natural singing musical theatre) also use it.

-Tako

emusic.com