Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Sep 5, 2000  6:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Reg Boyle wrote:
> I'm impressed because it seems to me that you're going
> fairly smoothly from chest to head then falsetto and back.
> Do you agree with that?

Depending on what one calls falsetto, yes. Not a true "clinical" falsetto,
though, in the sense that it is quite loud and capable of a dynamic range
comparable to my lower voice. My sense is that is closer to a woman's
head voice than to a man's falsetto.

> The mystery surrounds the richness of the harmonics.
> The only way I can explain such a dense display is by suggesting that
> there is a serious over-load somewhere in the signal path between the
> microphone and the spectrum analyser. I don't wish to throw cold
> water on your equipment (electronic I mean :)

LOL! You should see my "equipment" :) It is a generous term for my $10 PC
microphone and analogue on-board sound card! Some day I will bust out my
grounded mic and record digitally in a drier room. Sorry, I only had a few
minutes to come up with something to make a point about who knows what...

> Does a trained listener hear the harmonic density the
> same live as in that recording? The C# to F# I mean.
> Make certain also that you don't have an A/D convertor that's
> exceeding its peak. 111111111111111111111 means a flat top.

Someone needs to write a grant for my little PC. Seriously, though, I hope
to use the recording studio at Mills from now on... ;-) My apologies for
the 2nd (4th) rate recordings, I hope they were still useful!

-Tako

emusic.com