Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Sun Sep 3, 2000  10:15 am
Subject:  Rosa Ponselle and portamento

This afternoon on UK radio there were two recordings of Rosa Ponselle,
singing Voi Che Sapete and An Die Musik. Since I don't recall ever
really listening to her before (though I have probably heard her, not
quite the same thing!) I was wondering what other Vocalisters thought of
her sound and her style.

Callas thought she was the greatest singer of all, and Pavarotti held
her up as an ideal; Marilyn Horne called her the queen of legato. I have
to say that I didn't enjoy hearing her at all, and wonder whether this
is a reflection of changing tastes.

Most phrases started with a portamento, often of as much as a third. I
remember hearing this style of phrasing when I was a child in the
1950/60s and not liking it then; interestingly, it seems to have gone
out of fashion these days in favour of an onset which is more directly
on pitch. It was not only operatic and classical singers who employed
it; British singers such as Vera Lynn and particularly Anne Shelton just
during and after WWII were very fond of these big scoops, and my old
recording of Kiss Me Kate has (I think) Katherine Grayson performing So
In Love like a roller-coaster!

It's clear from everything that I've read that Ponselle was a musical
interpreter par excellence and a superb actress, but I can't help
thinking that this very swoopy style would have stand in the way of my
enjoyment were she performing today.

Any thoughts?

Linda Fox

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3947 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento Mezzoid@a...   Sun  9/3/2000   2 KB
3949 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento Linda Fox   Mon  9/4/2000   3 KB
3955 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento mikebarb@n...   Mon  9/4/2000   2 KB
3956 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  9/4/2000   3 KB
3960 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento dorisopran@a...   Mon  9/4/2000   2 KB
3962 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento Margaret Harrison   Mon  9/4/2000   3 KB
3965 Re: Rosa Ponselle and portamento sopran@a...   Tue  9/5/2000   3 KB

emusic.com