Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat Sep 2, 2000  6:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: off-topic: Richard Miller Video Tapes

LYNDA313@a... wrote:

> -
> In a message dated 9/1/00 3:31:55 PM, ibracamonte@y... writes:
>
> << I look forward to other's opinions. For the record, I
> greatly enjoyed Miller's book "On the Art of Singing,"
> but disagreed with some of his technical concepts in
> "Structure of Singing." His ideas about the opera
> business, interpretive approaches, student attitudes,
> musicality, etc., I find to be fabulous. >>
>
> Indeed those ideas are great. I'd also suggest that others who'd like to
> find out firsthand how to put anything into practice which they have seen in
> his books might consider taking his one-week course at some convenient
> location.

snip

> There is no reason to be suspicious of his work in any degree. If any are
> curious enough to read his texts, I suspect they might be curious enough to
> take a lesson or two. (snip) His workshops are relatively inexpensive and
> are held in a variety of venues throughout the country, generally during the
> summer months.
>
> A postscript: his stories are practically worth the price of the course. :)
>
> Just adding my thoughts again, re: Miller.
>
> Sincerely,
> Lynda Lacy

I've also participated in several Miller workshops. After hearing and seeing
him
in the workshops explaining function and technique, I've gone back to the books
and found that many passages that at first seemed dry and dogmatic, when re-read
with the sound of his voice and his ever-present good humour in my mind's ear,
take on a whole different colouration. I can't recommend his courses enough,
especially for beginning teachers!

Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3927 Re: off-topic: Richard Miller Video Tapes Lisa Miller   Sat  9/2/2000   2 KB

emusic.com