Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kittisak Chooklin" <hm381119@w...>
Date:  Sat Sep 2, 2000  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Why change

* Irritating egroups text tag at the bottom of every message (they pile up for digest subscribers in a big way).
* Annoying banner ads.

These two points to me are the same as the signatures people place at the end of their emails.  Even worse, some also put some moving texts too.  Are those messages and signatures annoying and irritating to you, guys?  Please be justice.

* Egroups owns our email addresses.  It used to be onelist, then was bought by egroups, now has been bought by Yahoo -- the policy *right now* is spam-free and keeps our information private, but that might not always be the case.

Actually, I have to agree with this point, although I know that every ISP can do that whether we pay them or not.  It's also their policy either to distribute our email addresses to another firm or not to.

* Basically, we don't have the rights to any of our information.  If egroups wanted to shut down the site tomorrow, with all of our archived messages and list of members, and not let anyone have access to the information without a fee, they could do that.  It happened just a couple of weeks ago to Remarq.

Actually, it did happen with the old "Vocalist" too.  That's why we're here on this list.

* We lost a huge number of valuable members when we made the switch, and it would be great to track those people down.

I do positively agree with this point.  That's what I see here lately.  Most of the time, a lot of messages do not concern the "vocal" issues at all.

* They own us!

Again, I might be wrong, any ISP's do own us too.  As long as we pay them, they do not mind; but at times they do have rights to send us advertisements or commercials, too.  That did happen with my ISP earlier.  But, true, as long as you pay them, you don't have to worry about other problems like if the list is still there or not.

Oak

emusic.com