Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  11:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Why change

* Annoying banner ads.
* Egroups owns our email addresses. It used to be
onelist, then was bought by egroups, now has been
bought by Yahoo -- the policy *right now* is spam-free
and keeps our information private, but that might not
always be the case.
* Basically, we don't have the rights to any of our
information. If egroups wanted to shut down the site
tomorrow, with all of our archived messages and list
of members, and not let anyone have access to the
information without a fee, they could do that. It
happened just a couple of weeks ago to Remarq.
* Harder for people to find, leading to the next
point.
* We don't get an influx of new members the way we did
on the old list, and run the risk of stagnating.
* We lost a huge number of valuable members when we
made the switch, and it would be great to track those
people down.
* Archives aren't searchable.
* Archives aren't digested.
* Irritating egroups text tag at the bottom of every
message (they pile up for digest subscribers in a big
way).
* They own us!

Need I go on...?

Isabelle B.

> What's wrong the way vocalist-temporary is working
> now? Why does it need to
> be changed?

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte