Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Nasality: Raised tongue

In a message dated 09/01/2000 8:14:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
LMorgan923@a... writes:

<< If I have a student who has a problem with a stiff tongue, I'll
sometimes
have them rest the bowl of a spoon on their tongue so they get some feedback
on when it stiffens. I find that it gives them a sense that they don't have
otherwise of when this is happening. I surely wouldn't recommend holding
the
tongue down with a spoon, thnough. Yikes. >>

I've never tried a spoon ... seems too unyielding to me ... I'll ask them to
use their little fingers or hold it with a piece of paper towel (never use
Kleenex, it sticks!). I don't want them to hold it stiff, the holding it
with the paper towel is for extreme cases in order for them to feel how much
their tongue wants to pull back. It's worked for a few people!

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com