Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  4:19 am
Subject:  Nasality: Raised tongue

Hi

My teacher says I have a problem with nasal resonance. After my big
breakthrough (another one...), in which I gained control of my voice by what
feels like 'sucking' the tone into the back of the throat, as opposed to
letting it fall out of my mouth, my teacher says my voice is getting much
better, but is still nasal.

He attributes this to the back of my tongue rising up as i sing, especially
on the descending part of a phrase. He has an exercise in which i imagine
a piece of sticky chewing gum holding my upper soft palate and back of my
teeth together, and before the onset of the note, i pull them apart. it
seems to work, but i'd like to know if anybody else has problems with
nasality because of a raised tongue.

Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3868 Re: Nasality: Raised tongue Ian Belsey   Fri  9/1/2000   2 KB
3871 Re: Nasality: Raised tongue LMorgan923@a...   Fri  9/1/2000   2 KB
3875 Re: Nasality: Raised tongue Mezzoid@a...   Fri  9/1/2000   2 KB

emusic.com