Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  5:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] First "real" audition

In a message dated 08/30/2000 3:48:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
mightymezzo@h... writes:

<< 3. Take a small bottle of water and some peppermints for while you're
waiting, but DON'T bring them into the audition. >>

In Shirlee Emmons' and Alma Thomas' book, POWER PERFORMANCE FOR SINGERS, she
strongly advises AGAINST water right before you sing. Hydrate up to the hour
before, but have apple wedges for the hour up till you sing. All I can say
is, I tried it when I auditioned for Chicago Opera Theater this past spring,
and it was the best audition of my life ... not a bit of dryness!!

For websites on this subject, I recommend Shirlee Emmons' "The various faces
of performance anxiety" (<A HREF="http://www.voiceperformance.com/Perf3.htm">h
ttp://www.voiceperformance.com/Perf3.htm)</A> and "The Six Golden Rules of
Performance Anxiety" (<A
HREF="http://davidleisner.com/guitarcomposer/noname.html">http://davidleisner.
com/guitarcomposer/noname.html</A>)

I use these often with myself and my students!

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com