Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  1:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
> I cannot speak for the methods used by English tenors because such
> techniques vary greatly.

Thanks, as ever, for your reply. Unfortunately, I still have this sense
that what certain tenors do up at the top is qualitatively (and
mechanically) different from what Pavarotti does. If possible, please
listen to this tenor, Werner Marschall:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/5674/ixionwav.htm

To my ear, he is singing in a "feminine mode" head voice above G4 as
opposed to what Pavarotti does. Still, it is clearly not falsetto, as it
is a vibrant, flexibly-colored tone. As someone who sings more like
Marschall, I can say *cannot* sing like Pavarotti, even if I chose. I
recognize the registration changes in Marschall's voice as similar to my
own. I can't really relate to what Pavarotti is doing with his voice.

To me, it *sounds* like Pavarotti is taking his middle voice clear up to
C5, and does not have to switch to actual head until D or so...

Are you saying the difference is purely one of resonance as opposed to one
of laryngeal function? If so, maybe I can be an operatic tenor too (hahaha
just kidding :) Thanks again for your patient and thorough treatment of my
questions!

Tako

emusic.com