Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  12:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

John:

You wrote:
"I think that when the chords are adducted nicely that a sufficiently rich
collection of upper partials from the various avaiable vibrational modes of
the vocal cords allow frequencies at and above the singer's formant
frequency to be produced. If you see how close the harmonics get crowded
together high up in even a simple harmonic series, it's not hard to imagine
the jangled richness of the cords' tone producing that. I would go further
and say that the singer's formant is a sign that one is resonating richly."

COMMENT: Well said. The harmonic structure in the upper reaches of
the overtone series are very dense and rich. This is more true for
males than females and explains why men have less difficulty than
women, generally, in finding correct resonance matching in their
upper ranges. They have more overtones from which to select.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com