Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Aug 30, 2000  7:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

Kevin,
By flutey I don't mean high-pitched notes or upper partials, I mean a tone
where only the lower partials have any strength. It may seem
counter-intuitive, but a flute tone is rather poor in upper partials and
most of the energy is in the lower part of the spectrum of any given note.
If the vocal cords are configured to produce such a low partial sound they
certainly will not be able to force any higher frequency response from the
resonators. I think Lloyd Hanson's post more or less clarifies the whole
situation.
But on another subject, having been born and having spent the first 27
years of my life in Scotland I'm no stranger to the Widow Twanky and other
very odd strange things, whether deep-fried or not, that constitute British
culture. john

At 05:10 PM 8/25/00 +0100, you wrote:
>> However, from lower
>> down, I don't think a falsetto production can sound full and rich. If it
>> does then there is probably some adduction, allowing for a wider range of
>> partials which can resonate at formant frequencies.
>
>As I understand it (and I'm not enormously well read on the subject) all the
>partials would not have to be present in the chords. High frequency
>vibration in the chords could drive lower partials in the resonant cavity,
>therefore producing a richer/wider sound from flutey, non-adducting
>chords.
>
>Request - Let's not take the discussion as far as "counter-tenors use
>falsetto, Oh no they don't, oh yes they do, ....he's behind you !!! :)" OK.
>It's been around too many times already.
>
>Kevin.
>
>ps The slightly obscure quip is a reference to the ancient art of pantomime,
>which I don't believe is musch practiced on your side of the pond. :)

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com