Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Tue Aug 29, 2000  10:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

Dre, I agree with you on Dieskau. I have never been a big fan of his
singing. What I mean is I respect his artistry and skill, but I didn't mean
to use him as an example of what I was describing, although he is an
interesting example. I prefer a more Italianate way of singing. Battistini
is a good example, although I am not as familiar with him as say Leonard
Warren. For me Warren would be right at the top of the list if he just
didn't distort his vowels. But in spite of that he is what I think a
baritone should sound like. He was well known to have a high C, and I think
it was his use of the coordinated head voice that allowed his confidence in
the top. I get the feeling with Dieskau that he is crooning and not using
his complete voice, although there are times where this is totally
acceptable, namely in Lieder singing. It is also very effective in his
recording of Papageno of Magic Flute with Fritz Wunderlich. As far as Verdi
he doesn't quite do it for me. Neither does Hampson, too much open singing
and not enough of the Italian voce chiusa.

Michael

>From: Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [vocalist-temporary] Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of
>the term "Head Voice"
>Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 02:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Dear Michael and James,
>
>I agree and I don' agree ;)
>It was exactly Dietrich Fischer Dieskau I was thinking
>about. I also think he uses his head voice like a
>tenor, but it sounds definitively falsettoish to me.
>(You need good speakers - or a live concert - to hear
>it though!)
>
>In fact, I don't like his soft passagio notes that
>much, although I do like his interpretations a lot, I
>always listen to him to check whether I thought about
>all the things in a song you can think about, because
>you can mostly be sure he has. (And of course continue
>then doing it different, because I think you cannot,
>and should not, copy an interpretation.)
>
>But back to the original subject: Batistini's sound is
>much more brilliant than DFD's, if comparing the
>recording that were made with quite different
>equipment is allowed. But when talking about Batistini
>you might argue whether he is a tenor or a baritone!
>It would interest me to know whether you think of DFD
>as well, as an example of a baritone who does use his
>head voice like a tenor, and of Batistini as someone
>who had a tenor's head voice.
>
>Best greetings,
>
>Dre

http://profiles.msn.com.