Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue Aug 29, 2000  10:14 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

Dear Michael and James,

I agree and I don' agree ;)
It was exactly Dietrich Fischer Dieskau I was thinking
about. I also think he uses his head voice like a
tenor, but it sounds definitively falsettoish to me.
(You need good speakers - or a live concert - to hear
it though!)

In fact, I don't like his soft passagio notes that
much, although I do like his interpretations a lot, I
always listen to him to check whether I thought about
all the things in a song you can think about, because
you can mostly be sure he has. (And of course continue
then doing it different, because I think you cannot,
and should not, copy an interpretation.)

But back to the original subject: Batistini's sound is
much more brilliant than DFD's, if comparing the
recording that were made with quite different
equipment is allowed. But when talking about Batistini
you might argue whether he is a tenor or a baritone!
It would interest me to know whether you think of DFD
as well, as an example of a baritone who does use his
head voice like a tenor, and of Batistini as someone
who had a tenor's head voice.

Best greetings,

Dre