Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Tue Aug 29, 2000  9:39 am
Subject:  Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

> John wrote - "I don't think a falsetto production can sound full and rich.
> If it does then there is probably some adduction, allowing for a wider
range
> of partials which can resonate at formant frequencies. That's what I
think."

This has come up a couple of times now and I'd like to clear up my
thinking.

Do the frequencies that appear in the voice have to appear also in
the chords or can the frequencies of air oscillation in the resonant
cavities be driven by different frequencies in the chords ? My
initial thinking would be that the 'singers formant' frequencies could
be 'driven' by lower frequencies in the chords.

Much of the falsetto/head-voice debate seems to depend upon relating
frequencies/richness in the voice to chord vibration and I'm not
convinced this is particularly valid. It may be more to do with shaping of
the resonant cavities in the head and neck by well trained singers.

As an analogy think about a trumpet player. The player's lips must be
vibrating with only one frequency, there are'nt any complex vibrational
modes coming into play. (I don't think) However, the sound out of the end
of the trumpet is a more complex harmonic mix. The 'extra' frequencies
must be introduced by driving resonances in the trumpet itself. (probably)
A clarinet would be another, perhaps simpler, example of a single frequency
driving complex resonances.

To state simply, in case anyone missed the point. A falsetto mode vibration
in the chords, possessing few harmonic complexities could still produce a
rich tone in a singer with the right shape of resonant cavities (by training
or good fortune). And this tone could be confused with 'proper' head voice.

Is the chap that was research assistant to Ingo Titze still on the list ?

kevin

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3751 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio buzzcen@a...   Tue  8/29/2000   2 KB
3752 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Kevin Hollis   Tue  8/29/2000   2 KB
3755 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Michael Mayer   Tue  8/29/2000   5 KB
3757 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Kevin Hollis   Tue  8/29/2000   3 KB
3770 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  8/30/2000   4 KB
3778 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Wed  8/30/2000   2 KB
3796 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  8/31/2000   3 KB
3798 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Thu  8/31/2000   3 KB
3759 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio John Alexander Blyth   Tue  8/29/2000   5 KB

emusic.com