Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Aug 28, 2000  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] countertenor - falsetto

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Kittisak Chooklin wrote:
> Still, the question is there. He sounds singing falsetto while being
> called counter-tenor. To my keen, I think if you practice well and
> enough, it's not so difficult to sing like him -- at least, I could do
> that "once in a while", esp. when I'm drunk: that's what I my friends
> said when they heard me singing.

Ha ha - where your friends drunk too? Just kidding ;-) Perhaps you are a
CT as well, but only when intoxicated :) There is also an issue of how
much function actually remains after puberty, not just the existence of
the register.

> if Daniel doesn't use falsetto, why does he sound like a woman? I
> have to admit here that I am not an expert in singing, but I have the
> observation of these two singers and I'm really curious about them.
> Hopefully, my question will not be so annoying, this time.

He does not sound like a woman to me. Our ears are used to women singing
in this range, so they are not accustomed to making the distinction
between male and female. I have been listening to many countertenors, so
I've gotten to the point that I can tell them apart. The first time I
heard one was Drew Minter, and I thought it was a woman from outside the
room, but now my ear can hear the "countertenor"-ness of his sound
immediately.

You'll find that R&B countertenors and female singers will often sound
alike too... style is more a defining factor of timbre than sex.

-Tako

emusic.com