Vocalist.org archive

From:  omigurt@a...
Date:  Sun Aug 27, 2000  5:38 pm
Subject:  German help - THANKS!!

Many thanks to everyone out there who is helping me (on the list and
privately) with these German translation problems. I am enormously grateful!

I'd like briefly to address some other points that have come up, particularly
that of punctuation and of taking lines out of context. It was my intention
merely to ask people with better fluency than mine to help me with denotation
(not connotation) -- literal meaning, not interpretation. Don't get me
wrong; I'm grateful for the interpretive suggestions that have come out. I'm
just explaining why I highlighted just the few phrases out of context. (And
of course I wanted to take up as little band width as I could.) As for the
composer's mark on the poems, I'd invite you all to take a look at the piece!
It is quite complex and the composer's interpretation of the text is not at
all on the surface of the piece.

Anyway, I thank you all again for the discussion and for taking the time to
wrassle with this text!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com