Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Aug 27, 2000  5:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: slsi

Just got back from teaching for two weeks at the speech level singing
institute and what a great experience it was for both the faculty and
students. The other teachers giving privates were all certified SLS
instructors. One teacher that impressed me greatly was Tom McKinney, who won
the national Met Auditions in the 70s and had a great career in Europe
(opera) before giving it up to pursue what he really wanted to do ... musical
theater. The people brought in for master classes were great also, Nancy
Dussalt (big Broadway star), David Romano (Phantom, etc.), and some excellent
experts in jazz and r&b. I gave two masterclasses, one in vocal health and
one on working with producers, managers, and lawyers. The one masterclass
that was a bit of a let down was given by a girl that played Kim in Miss
Saigon on Broadway which just goes to show great performers are not
necessarily great clinicians.

In addition we all went to Michael Jackson's house for a day which was rather
surreal but fun. The camp was held at a small college in the brentwood area
(on bundy, yes right up the street from OJ) and on a clear day you could see
catalina. If you are interested, feel free to email, it really was a great
experience.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com