Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Sun Aug 27, 2000  6:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] countertenor - falsetto

>To: Tako
>
>Thank you very much for your answer! If you don't mind, could you explain
me
>how countertenors who don't use falsetto (you wrote: "few, most or all
>countertenors use it...") produce their voice? I thought that countertenor
>was a falsetto voice that has been developped by vocal technique training.
>Thank you again,
> Marie-Claire

James here.....

Try listening to these 2 david daniels mp3's

http://srv01.anaserve.com/~parterre/nacht.mp3

To me the flasetto is developed to the point that one could
think this is a women. My keen tenor ears hear some mixed
voice here, ie mix of falsetto and chest. Daniels, himself, says he uses
chest as little as possible.

http://srv01.anaserve.com/~parterre/sweeter.mp3

This is more countertenor, though a very good countertenor.

Again, to me, this all is very developed falsetto. As a tenor
i have mixed voice and full falsetto as far as in can sing in full voice,
like c-d flat.
The full falsetto has no dynamic range, the mixed voice does. Clearly
Daniels has
many dynamic levels. If you want to call this "not falsetto" thats OK, I
sure cannot produce these tones !

Peace and love from the high desert of northern New Mexico,

Saint James
mailto:stjames@l...
http://www.la-tierra.com/stjames

"J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
Les Illuminations, Arthur Rimbaud (1854-1891)

emusic.com