Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  4:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

yes mark,

anytime bjoerling sings loud it is effortful compared to his ease when
singing softer. there is even a place in the last scene of i pagliacci,
during his big aria, that he sings with such effort that it pushes him out of
tune (so much for perfect). when singing louder, his vibrato rate increases
with volume, sometimes turning to a bleat. listen to the trio in the verdi
requiem. it is the softest singing i have ever heard him in. i once had
to convince a friend that he wasn't the mezzo.

i love bjoerling but, i don't understand why some people say his
technique is perfect (i can't understand how 'perfect' could be a judgement
passed in an artform judged subjectively). i can see getting ridiculous
over pavarotti or wunderlich or even gedda. these singers seem to be more
consistant in all extremes of their voices.

i love effort too. franco corelli is one of my favorite singers (he
certainly deserves an A for effort). i also enjoy roger daltrey, steve
perry, femi kuti and i would even say that bob dylan is one of my favorite
singers. so, i don't mean effort or, even screaming, as an insult. when i
was a kid, my father and the neighbor across the street used to discuss the
validity of mario del monaco. my father said he was a 'lung busta' (boston
accent). our neighbor, being a plumber, used to call del monaco, the
'plumbers helper'.

the most effortless tenor i ever heard is laurence dale. i'll take
bjoerling anyday.

mike

emusic.com