Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  12:58 pm
Subject:  ATTN German Speakers -- Please Help!!

Hi Naomi,

I'll do my best to translate these but I'm at best mediocre at
translating poetry, let alone interpreting it. I must admit that
you've managed to pick out some delightfully difficult phrases here.
Since it's poetry I'm not always going to provide a literal
translation.

I hope this provides you with a bit of context for now. I'm sure
someone else here will be able to provide you with better translations
though.

Cheers,
Ingo

"Den Raum umwirbt die Zeit"

Best guess: "Time surrounds the room." "Umwerben" can be translated
into "desiring" or "caring for." It depends a bit on the context.

"Dein Gehen laechelt in mich ueber und reisst das Herz"

Best guess: "Your departure smiles over me and tears the heart."

"Das Nicken hakt und spannt"

"The nodding chops and stretches"

"Nacht grant Glas die Zeiten stehn"

Literally: "Night .... glass time stands still"

"Fluestern plaetschert Blueten gehren Duefte spritzen Schauer stuerzen

Winde
schnellen prellen schwellen Tuecher reissen Fallen schrickt in tiefe
Nacht."

This is a literal translation. I must admit that neither the German
nor the literal translation below makes any sense to me. Maybe if I
could see the German in context, but I doubt that it will help much. ;)

"Whispers ripples blossoms ....... fragrances squirt showers falling
winds
advancing (also "fast" or "quickly") colliding (also "pushing" and
"deceiving") swelling sheets tearing traps terrors (also "horrors" and
"frightens") in the deep (also "dark") night.