Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cathy Ardrey <cardrey@j...>
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  2:26 am
Subject:  enjoyable literature for young singers

David,

I also teach high schoolers, and some of the pieces and collections they
have enjoyed include:

Copland folk song arrangements

The Britten British folk song arrangements

Songs by Roger Quilter

The collection called Songs by 22 Americans, compiled by Bernard Taylor
(some of these are quite difficult, but not all of them).

Heritage of 20th Century British Song (a really good collection with songs
by Britten, Finzi, Gibbs, Head, Howells, Ireland, Quilter, Warlock, and
others)

Three Mystical Songs by Alec Rowley

I would also agree with the suggestion of the Alfred folk song series--I
have just discovered them, and love them.

I am also very excited about 10 Spirituals for Solo voice arranged by Mark
Hayes, published by Alfred.

Some of my more advanced students really love solos from
oratorios---Messiah, Elijah, Vivaldi's Gloria, etc.

Good luck! If you'd like more specifics, please feel free to e-mail me.

Cathy Ardrey
Charleston, SC, USA

emusic.com