Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Fri Aug 25, 2000  4:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

Hmmmm.... I got the impression that it was rather singers
who raised the confusion between head and falsetto and
that scientists were rather clearer.

As I understand the neat 'scientific' view:-
Chest - firm adduction of the chords, vibration along the
whole length.
Head - less firm adduction of the chords, vibration along
part of their length.
Falsetto - No adduction of the chords, vibration along the
whole length.

The problems seem to come from singers equating this
neat division of the chord resonance into sound or resonance
perceptions.

One of the fantastic properties of the human voice is it's
flexibility. Hence falsetto voices that sound/feel full and rich and
chest voices that sound/feel light and breathy. Clearly colour and
balance of overtones etc.. comes not only from the chords.
The perception on the part of the singer or listener does not
necessarily equate with the mechanism of vibration being
employed in the chords. Thus the need to have a trained
listener (teacher) to help figure out what the voice is doing
and what it needs to do that it isn't.

I guess it depends upon whether the chest/head/falsetto
division is defined by mechanics in the chords or perception on
the part of the singer. I choose the mechanical theory of the
scientist for description and the perceptual feel for actually
trying to make the noises. :-)

Kevin.
(Computer programmer, singer, physicist - hopefully the order
will change over time !)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3676 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" John Alexander Blyth   Fri  8/25/2000   4 KB
3677 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" Kevin Hollis   Fri  8/25/2000   3 KB
3779 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" John Alexander Blyth   Wed  8/30/2000   4 KB
3685 Different uses of the term "Head Voice" (long... Tako Oda   Fri  8/25/2000   5 KB
3688 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" RALUCOB@a...   Sat  8/26/2000   3 KB
3697 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" thomas mark montgomery   Sat  8/26/2000   2 KB
3689 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" Vale [^_^]   Sat  8/26/2000   2 KB
3719 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  8/27/2000   2 KB
3701 Re: Different uses of the term "Head Voice" RALUCOB@a...   Sat  8/26/2000   3 KB

emusic.com