Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu Aug 24, 2000  3:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Perceptions of the mezz-soprano sound

I've never heard this before either. I have heard that there was a "seconda
donna" as well as a "primo uomo" and a "secondo uomo". It doesn't sound quite
right that "mezzo-soprano" would have been used in this fashion, although I
don't have any hard evidence to the contrary.

Lisa-Marie
---

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:37:29
Mike & Vicki Bryant wrote:
>Karen Mercedes wrote:
>tec> The origin of the term "mezzo-soprano" was once explained to me as
>vtec> applying not to the sound of the singer's voice, but to the fact that the
>vtec> "mezzo-soprano" was the soprano-in-training (vs. the prima donna). And
>vtec> thus, not quite a "full" soprano.
>
>vtec> I thought this explanation sounded goofy. Has anyone else heard it?
>
>I've never heard anything like that before, but as yet, I haven't
>heard any better explanation.
>
>Vicki Bryant
>Naperville, IL

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!

emusic.com