Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Aug 21, 2000  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] My first Chicago Performance

--- Lisa M Olson <lisa_molson@m...> wrote:
(...)I got great feedback afterwards. (...)
> The ODD thing was that when I heard myself on the
> tape (granted, it wasn't a great tape) it sounded
> NOTHING like me. People have told me that my voice
> has gained a richness that was never there before.
> But I haven't listened to my voice in about a year,
> and it was so DARK.

Dear Lisa and vocalisters

first my congratulations, if all people react that
well, it cannot be bad what you did, can it? Secondly:
a recording is just a recording, mostly reality is
much more beautiful.
You could try to check the recording, by listening to
the other voices on the recording: if they also sound
darker, then you know why you sound darker. Maybe the
CD sounds much more brilliant.
Furthermore: if you really sound darker than you did
before, it is very likely not bad at all, you probably
just have to get used to it. Richness and warmth
are basically made of dark tones, and adding
brilliance to it makes together a beautiful tone.

But don't forget that what you hear in your head is
very misleading. This is also one of the main reasons
why it is so difficult to learn to sing. Since you
have not heard yourself for a year, any recording of
your voice will sound strange to you.

I record evey single minute I sing since several years
and am still puzzled how difficult it is to guess how
you sound, as soon as you change something. Sometimes
a tone you hear in your head as razorsharp, is just a
normal tone, e.g., and sometimes a low tone you hear
as soft, can be quite loud. But it can also be the
other way around!

An example: a few days ago I started taking lessons
again (with a new teacher, which was great, but I'll
write about that some other time) and while changing
the way to produce some vowels, I did not really hear
a big difference. But on the recording the difference
was so obvious that even Beethoven in his last days
would have heard it.
But: it was a good recording, which I heard over very
good speakers. But for some physically odd reasons
some people don't even need that, they seem to be able
to bias the sound coming from a bad stereo set to
something that sounds like the real thing.

The most important thing: I would in any case discuss
this with your singing teacher, it could also be the
effect of singing in a bigger place, or with other
people etc. And of course you should know what to like
from you 'new' sound and what is going to change in
due time.

Best greetings,

Dre

3629 how we sound on a recording, was: My first Chicag John Alexander Blyth   Mon  8/21/2000   3 KB
3669 Vocalist.org disappeared? John Alexander Blyth   Fri  8/25/2000   2 KB

emusic.com