Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Trenymusic" <trenymusic@m...>
Date:  Sun Aug 20, 2000  4:42 am
Subject:  Re:Re: [vocalist-temporary] BIG BROTHER.postscript

Besides, I think it's a pretty good picture of me! :-D

Lynda wrote:

> 2. The site (and YOU) encouraged people to put in their real names, and
> birth date, and zip.

Just like I did with mine.

> 4. You have NO IDEA what use they make of this information.

Sure I do. They drop a bomb on your street ( but not directly on your place,
since they don't have the house/apartment number, only the zip code ). In my
case, as I'm not in the USA, I entered my country only, so they explode my
whole country. But they're smart: they ask the color of your eyes in order to
make sure they aim the bomb exactly at you.

> 6. Doubtless, many people DID go there at your behest. I did.

If you're so paranoic about the site, why weren't you about me.

> I don't know how much information you think is required to gather
> information, but a name, a birthday, and a zip code is a great start.

Don't you know they already have it as soon as you access any site? According
to a specialized magazine I subscribe to, whenever you access a site your
browser itself 'tells' them what version it is, what operational system you
have and the last URL you've visited. The http protocol gives out additional
infomation, including your IP address, therefore, your name.

Also, according to the University of Georgetown, of the 361 site most popular
sites in the MediaMetrix ranking, only 6.6% don't collect info about the user.

The magazine also gave option to those who wanted to browse incognito, but that
will make your browsing slower:

5 stars: Freedom 1.1 ( www.freedom.net ): shareware free for 30 days. Then, you
have to pay US$ 49,95;

4 stars: Webwasher ( www.webwasher.com ) free for home users.

There are others, but these are the best paid and free ones, according to the
magazine.

> not think this was funny, and I didn't like the scare tactic that you use to
> encourage people to look at this site. If this offends you, so be it.

All I can do is say the same: if that tactic offended you, so be it!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

Missing old school friends? Find them here: