Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Sat Aug 19, 2000  6:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

This original post reminded me of something I started doing a few months
back which has been very helpful for me related to over-intellectualizing.
My instructor says that I am "very analytical" This is very true, and
thinking about/analyzing what is happening is very important for me. Yet
it can lead me to great frustrations if I overdo it. The thing that helps
(which I actually picked up on from a brief reference in one of Isabelle 's
posts) is keeping a "Singing Journal" in which I write about what I am
trying, sensing, feeling and observing. It has been helpful because it 1)
helps get the thoughts out of my head and stops my brain from racing in an
unproductive and frustrated way. It quiets the thoughts and gives them a
structure, and 2) helps me to be able to identify patterns. When I look
back and read over my entries and see the same problem (or a very similar
one) reoccurring over time, I can usually identify from my writing what I
am doing which triggers it.

It's really been helpful for me. (If you are reading this- Thanks,
Isabelle!)

Sandra

emusic.com