Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Sat Aug 19, 2000  5:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] BIG BROTHER.postscript

> 4. You have NO IDEA what use they make of this
> information.

These people CAN NOT make use of the information you input
into their forms. I checked out the code source of the
website with the forms, and the picture will pop-up
regardless of the information you put in the form. There
is no CGI script attached to the form, it is put there
merely as a way to fool people into believing the hoax is
legit. The link you click to get the picture is not
related in any way to the form, so there is absolutely NO
RECORD of the information put in them. They are "broken"
forms. IN other words, the only person who will ever see
your name, birthdate and ZIP code is YOU, at the moment you
type it in. I checked the document source of the page
before giving them the requested information just to be
sure my information would not be retained by a javascript
or CGI application. I urge all of you to do the same if
you are concerned. This was a perfectly harmless trick.
I've investigated the entire site, and it appears as though
the whole thing is a joke.

Although Caio could perhaps have used a better tactic to
play this joke, I'm quite sure he didn't mean any harm; he
just wanted to share a bit of silly humour with us this
lazy morning!

Regards,

---Kate