Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 18, 2000  11:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Dentists WAS Over-intellectualization.

In a message dated 08/18/2000 3:53:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
rjime7@c... writes:

<< The best teacher in world can be bad for you. It is like when you choose
a dentist! >>

Did I tell you guys about my awful dental experience? When I was working in
another city recently, I had the misfortune to have a crown come out on the
first day of my stay. I managed to keep in through a variety of adhesives
for almost a week -- till I ate a candy bar. Thought it had almonds in it
until I ran my tongue over my teeth and found that my crown had slithered
down my throat!!! So I asked a local resident for a dentist recommendation
(good thing I didn't need to ask for a gastroenterologist recommendation!)
and he sent me to his dentist.

This guy, Dr. Nameless, seemed to be a competent dentist but after putting in
a temporary for me, the goop (for lack of a better term) was a tad too high
in the back. Not unusual, but I couldn't close my mouth without extreme
discomfort, nor could I "tap tap tap" (I think all dentists say that -- it's
kind of like "is this better ... or this one?" at the eye doctor) on the
little piece of dye paper he put in my mouth to determine where to begin the
filing. He finally GRABBED MY JAW (without advising me he was going to do
so) and SLAMMED IT SHUT AND THEN MANUALLY MANIPULATED IT UP AND DOWN. I had
so much cr*p in my mouth I couldn't say anything ... he did a 2nd time ...
tears were flowing down my face. When he reached to do it a third time, I
told him NOT to do that again!

He told me that he worked with singers ALL the time and knew what he was
doing. I made it clear that I depended on a flexible, mobile jaw and did not
appreciate his manipulations. He apologized, but then later when I said that
I was sorry to have gotten so upset (such a girl thing to do!) and reiterated
my feelings, he said, "Oh, that's all right... I'm used to temperamental
singers."

My jaw hurt for one full week.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com