Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Aug 17, 2000  7:59 pm
Subject:  Over-intellectualization. I must mention support

To add to my looong post: unfortunately breath support, truly fundamental
in classical singing, is so, so easy to misunderstand, and yet good breath
management can fix so many other problems. I don't think it can be
adequately conveyed in print, but some ideas that have worked for me:
1)anything the breath doesn't do adequately the throat will try to do,
which is bad. Proper breath management takes the pressure off the neck!
2)It's easier that it can often sound - there is no 'hard-pushing' involved
-it's just a matter of feeling your whole abdomen being alive while you
breathe. 3) There may be a feeling of losing control when you start to
allow the breath to do what the throat had been trying to do - that's ok
and normal - singing isn't about *making* things happen so much as
discovering what *is* actually there. 5c more.john
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com