Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Aug 17, 2000  7:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Recent recitals and 'honest' singers

Ah, Merry, you know it! It's so easy to forget to check acoustics, piano
etc. beforehand. Alas I have also a tendency never to cancel, even when I'm
really sick - I've done high profile (if local) performances while
suffering from gastroenteritis (2 occasions) and flu, not to mention
(shame! I was, um, younger) choir work while hungover. john

At 01:03 PM 8/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 08/17/2000 11:00:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>BLYTHE@B... writes:
>
><<
> >"a subsequent recital of "Dichterliebe" at an old folks home didn't sound
> >half as good. [...] I'm sure I'm not the only singer who has to watch out
> >for regression. Be ye warned, young singers!" >>
>
>a different room, piano, and so on could have made the difference.
>
>some years ago i accompanied a chorus in a program which was presented in
two
>different churches. part of the program was on organ, so i had to work it
up
>on two very different instruments (the first one was better suited to the
>music, and the church had great acoustics). it went great at the first one
>and less than great at the second.
>
>Merry

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico