Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marcia & Dean" <mardean@m...>
Date:  Wed Aug 16, 2000  2:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal problem/developing extreme frustration

Sandra,
Don't throw in the towel! Perhaps you should consider another opinion. You
could ask a different teacher to hear you and give you some clue about what
is happening. It could be that you have carrying your lower voice up too
high without a blend with the head voice. My suggestion (just for the
moment, until someone else can advise you) is to sing some sirens descending
from the head voice through the "passage" (C-E) into the middle range. Use
the sound of "h" before the vowel "o" and sing it repeatedly and lightly.
Don't try to force your voice to be louder. Use the "appoggio" technique of
breath support (a la Richard Miller,etc.) but be careful not to strain
anything vocally. After 3-4 days of this, your voice might be easier to
produce, and you might notice that those notes in question have a prettier
sound.

Musically Yours, Marcia

......As I have connected more of the
> characteristics of the lower mechanism with my upper voice, I find that I
> now am having major problems in this region. It feels as though it is
> getting worse, not better. Some days the notes just don't come out.
Well,
> something comes out, but it sounds more like an ugly squawk. Particularly
> when singing with consonants. Vocalizing with vowels alone isn't as much
> of a problem. At the same time this problem has developed my upper notes
> (above the D/E/F) have more weight and are becoming more stable and solid.
>
> I feel like throwing the towel in and calling it quits. I really don't
> want to quit, but it feels like paying good money and working hard just to
> regress and beat my head against the wall.
Sandra

emusic.com