Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Aug 12, 2000  2:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Carmina Burana???

Kenneth asked:

Can anyone give me any
> info on this work, a synopsis perhaps, recommend a good recording of it?
> Your help would greatly appreciated.

I went to see an open air version of it some years ago. I'll translate and
summarize the information I have:

"It was composed in 1937 by Carl Orff and was based on medieval latin
poetry. It was originally created to be presented as choir opera. Its verses
were written 700 years ago in vulgar latin and archaic French and German.
The songs have criticize the Roman Catholic clergy. They were written
'clerici vagi', men who acquired formal education from the Church and then
abandoned it, living on the roads in Europe. They were compiled around 1230
by the beniditine monks in Germany and remained forgotten for centuries in
their library.

It's deliberately anti-romantic music has almost no harmony. There's an
"Orff Center" in Munique. They may have a website."

People say the recording with a famous Japanese conductor ( can't remember
his name now ) is the best. I have one with the Saint Louis Simphony
Orchestra & Chorus, conducted by Leonard Slatkin. It's accompanying book has
it translated into English, German and French, and as I can recall the other
one has it translated to English only.

The one I saw was performed by Herbert Hechenberger ( tenor ), Eva Lind
soprano ) and Michael Kraus ( baritone ). On my cd it's sung by John Aler
tenor ), Hakan Hagegard ( baritone ) and Sylvia McNair ( soprano ).

Hope it was helpful,

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3523 Carmina Burana??? Tako Oda   Tue  8/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com