Vocalist.org archive

From:  radishes@r...
Date:  Fri Aug 11, 2000  2:26 am
Subject:  Teachers. . . .

Hello everyone,

I am very serious about my studies in voice, have taken lessons
privately since I was six-years-old, and am really starting to notice
some thrilling improvements in my technique and ability. I have
always been told I have a "nice voice" but only recently have people
begun to say that I am learning to "sing well" (I am 16 now, and
study mainly mezzo operatic repertoire and lieder). I have been
blessed with a magnificent teacher who goes way beyond the call of
duty when teaching me. However, I live in a VERY small town in Maine
where I am given very few opportunities to sing, let alone to sing
for people who are competant judges of vocal technique (my teacher is
a rare oddity).

I am going to be spending five days in New York City this coming
November (seeing, among other things, a Met production of Turandot
with Jane Eaglen!!!!!!!!), and would very much like to have a session
with a truly knowledgeable, experienced teacher who will give me some
guidance and make sure I'm on the right track (I have about $100-$150
to spend for this purpose). Are there some experts in NYC (who have
trained *GREAT* singers) who would be willing to spend a 1/2 hour to
an hour with someone in my position? If so, how would I go about
contacting them? As always, all feedback is greatly appreciated!

---Kate

emusic.com