Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shuff@c...
Date:  Thu Aug 10, 2000  7:03 pm
Subject:  Need Strauss Lieder Help/Also Verdi Songs

Hi, Vocalisters -

It's been a while since I read and posted - good to see lots of
lively discussion going on.

I am in need of help - since I am no longer in school, it's not as
easy as running down to the music library to look things up anymore!
(I've been out for about six years, now, and am ready to go back to
school). I have made the switch from mezzo to soprano, and am
working on audition rep for Indiana University (doctoral). I am, of
course, pulling out things I worked on as a mezzo, but am unsure of
something:

Does the Strauss song "Befreit" come in two keys that anyone knows
of? I have done some looking on the internet, but don't want to have
to buy a book to find out.... I have it, and have sung it, in c#,
but wonder if it originally was written in a higher key, or if one
exists.

Also, has anyone worked on any of the Verdi songs? I am wondering if
they are "operatic", and therefore a good choice to get around IU's
requirement of only two operatic arias - essentially, singing an aria
that's not part of an opera. I am vocally in the spinto category, so
also wondering if these were a good fit. As I said, I don't want to
buy a book, and then not be able to use it!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sarah

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3411 Re: Need Strauss Lieder Help/Also Verdi Songs dclark   Thu  8/10/2000   2 KB
3420 Re: Need Strauss Lieder Help/Also Verdi Songs Patricia M Smith   Fri  8/11/2000   3 KB

emusic.com